It’s the month of May, summers in India and the season of Mangoes! How can I refrain from posting a Mango Recipe? Presenting Thick Luscious Goji Berry Mango Milkshake with NO ADDED SUGAR. Who needs Added sugar when your seasonal fruits and berries do the trick!
I make the most of husband’s travels by asking him to get back ingredients that I can experiment with. Cooking with Goji Berries was on my list from a really long time. His trip last month to China, led me to these Ruby Red Berries.
The dried Goji Berries are super sweet, slightly sour (almost like Raisins). When you combine them with the sweet Indian Alphonso Mango or Hapus – King of Mangoes, You get the best Milkshake Ever!
Mango Milkshakes are everyone’s favourite and sadly since the fruit is only available for 3 months in a year, we make the most of it by eating them as a fruit along with meals (Mango is perhaps the only fruit we consume with our meals), adding to milkshakes, lassi, custard etc or simply dunking everyday phulkas into a bowl of Mango Pulp!
This Goji Berry Mango Milkshake recipe is now our weekend breakfast. A tall glass with ice cubes provides respite from the heat and humidity of Mumbai. With berries and fruits, milk and no sugar, this is a complete breakfast treat. Can also be carried in a travel Glass Jug while driving to work as a quick, on the go breakfast too.
We prefer Milkshakes with Milk as we don’t avoid dairy at home (South Indian’s cannot do that for their love of curd and milk). In case you are vegan or are lactose intolerant, try the recipe with coconut milk, Almond milk or oat milk instead.
Being born and brought up in Maharashtra, I shall always be partial towards Hapus or Alphonso Mangoes. They are the best variety of mangoes to make the milkshake. The colour of the ripe fruit is gorgeous! However, you can opt for any mango available in your area / region. The colour may vary and the taste too. If the mangoes are not sweet, you might have to add some sugar too. If you do not have access to mangoes, you can opt for Canned Mango Pulp too. Add around 1 cup to 2 cups of milk.
In case you do not have access to Goji Berries, add any other berries of your choice (Raspberries, Blueberries, Mulberry). The idea is to go sugar Free and hence the sweet berries help in this case, the health and taste factors are bonus!
Goji Berries are also known as Super Foods for its immense healthy benefits. However, excess of anything is bad for health, superfood included. Always be aware and check with a Medical Practitioner before consuming / introducing any new ingredient, especially if you have weight loss goals on mind. Check out the health benefits, warnings etc here.
Taking this recipe to the A to Z challenge this month wherein we choose to cook with key ingredients Alphabetically. This month it was time for Alphabet ‘G’ and I chose my key ingredient ‘Goji Berry’ to whip up this Summer Cooling Milkshake.
Let us check out the easy recipe of Goji Berry Mango Milkshake and make a tall glass of this today!
Recipe of Goji Berry Mango Milkshake (No Added Sugar) with step by step pics
1 cup is 250 ml
Prep Time 10 mins
Cook time Nil
Serves 2 to 3 tall glasses
- 1 Alphonso Mango (peeled and diced roughly)
- 2 cups of Chilled Milk
- 2 tblsp of Goji Berries
- Ice cubes as required for serving
- Some Goji Berries for Garnish
(1) In a Blender, add the roughly chopped pieces of Alphonso Mango.
(2) Add Goji Berries and pour 2 cups chilled milk.
(3) Blend it until smooth and creamy.
(4) Serve immediately, garnished with some goji berries.
If you try this at home, please give me a shout out / Tag Me on any of my social media handles.
- Twitter – https://twitter.com/masalachilli
- Facebook Page – https://www.facebook.com/MasalachillibyVidyaNarayan/
- Pinterest – https://in.pinterest.com/masalachilli
- Instagram https://www.instagram.com/masalachilli_vidyanarayan/
Goji Berry Mango Milkshake (No Added Sugar)
- 1 nos. Alphonso Mango (peeled and roughly chopped) Use 2 if mangoes are small
- 2 cups Chilled Milk See Notes for Milk Alternatives
- 2 tblsp Goji Berries
- In a Blender, add the roughly chopped pieces of Alphonso Mango.
- Add Goji Berries and pour 2 cups chilled milk.
- Blend it until smooth and creamy.
- Serve immediately, garnished with some goji berries in a tall glass filled with ice cubes