I am back with a summer friendly Raita Recipe made with Bottle Gourd. The Raita here is tempered with mustard seeds – South Indian Touch and makes a delicious accompaniment or side dish to all Indian Meals, especially the Rice Varieties. Presenting Lauki Raita or Bottle Gourd Curd Dip.
This is an Indian Raita Recipe that is made with the combination of curd and vegetables. Raita is served as a side dish to breakfast dishes and Main Course too. Raita helps in piping down the heat element of the dish. It is cooling especially in summers when we are simply not in a mood to enjoy piping hot dishes. Curd being a natural probiotic, helps in maintaining gut health too.
Lauki is called Bottle Gourd in English, Ghiya / Ghia and Dudhi in Hindi. It is a summer friendly vegetable as it is packed with a lot of water. Adding such vegetable with curd makes it extremely cooling for the body, especially if you are like us, recovering from extreme dehydration and fatigue due to heat (during our recent weekend getaway).
Bottle Gourd has many health benefits and hence its important to make it as part of your weekly diet, especially in summers. The Bottle Gourd or Lauki is 96% water content which makes its consumption refreshing during summers. The vegetable is low in calories, unless used in a dessert or fried vegetable form. Many consume fresh bottle gourd juice in the morning to detox their system.
I hope you have found the recipe useful and would happily like to include it as part of your summer meals at home. If you are looking for a popular Lauki Recipe aka The Lauki Chana Dal. Do check out my twist with a south Indian Touch – Lauki Dal spiced with Sambar Powder. Just enjoy it with steaming rice and / or phulkas for a filling meal.
Recipe for Lauki Raita / Bottle Gourd Curd Dip
- Bottle Gourd 2 cups (200 ml) grated
- Fresh Curd 1 1/2 cups
- Roasted Jeera Powder 1 tsp
- Green chillies chopped 1 or 2
- Chopped Coriander leaves as required
- Oil 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
- Salt as per taste
(1) Peel the skin of the Bottle Gourd, scoop the seeds from the centre and grate.
(2) Apply salt to the grated Lauki and allow it to rest for 10 minutes.
(3) Squeeze the excess juice from the lauki and discard.
(4) Whisk the Curd, add salt to taste, roasted jeera powder, green chillies and add the lauki
(5) Mix well and prepare for tempering.
(6) Heat a tempering pan, add oil and mustard seeds, once they crackle, pour over the raita, mix well and serve immediately.
- You can avoid the tempering and serve the raita as it is too. It tastes delicious.
- Use fresh chilled curd for the raita and immediately refrigerate if serving later.
- If serving for guests, prepare and pour tempering before serving.
Lauki Raita / Bottle Gourd Curd Dip
- 2 cups Bottle Gourd (grated) 1 cup is 200 ml
- 1 1/2 cups Thick Curd or Yogurt 1 cup is 200 ml
- 1 tsp Roasted Jeera Powder / Bhuna Jeera Powder
- 1 to 2 nos. Green Chillies chopped
- Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves as required
- 1/2 tsp Oil Any Neutral Oil / Veg Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds or Rai
- Salt to taste
- Peel the skin of the Bottle Gourd, scoop the seeds from the centre and grate.
- Apply some salt to the grated Lauki and allow it to rest for 10 minutes.
- Squeeze the excess juice from the lauki (discard the juice)
- Whisk the Curd, add salt to taste, roasted jeera powder, green chillies and add the lauki.
- Mix well and prepare for tempering
- Heat a tempering pan, add oil and mustard seeds, once they crackle, pour over the raita, mix well and serve immediately.
If you try this recipe at home, please give me a shout out / Tag Me on any of my social media handles.
- Twitter – https://twitter.com/masalachilli
- Facebook Page – https://www.facebook.com/MasalachillibyVidyaNarayan/
- Pinterest – https://in.pinterest.com/masalachilli
- Instagram https://www.instagram.com/masalachilli_vidyanarayan/