Amrood aur Kheere ki Chaat
Raise your hands if you are fond of eating Amrood! With some Salt and Chilli powder? I can see many raised hands now!
Amrood is called Gauva in English and Peru in Maharashtra. The fruit is everyones favourite, including mine. Well, I guess this is one fruit that is strongly associated with our childhood days, atleast for me.
My fond memories of school days, during winters, are eating Amrood or Guava with extra salt and red chilli powder. Admist all the giggling and gossip while walking back home from school, the peru or guava gave us the much needed energy boost.
Consumption of Guava has many health benefits. Gauva or Amrood is rich in dietary fibre. Guava boosts metabolism that in turn leads to weight loss. Presence of folate in Gauva helps increase fertility levels. Gauvas or Amrood contains 80% water and helps in keeping our skin hydrated too.
My preferences, after growing up haven’t changed. I still prefer sprinkling red chilli powder and chaat masala over the freshly cut guavas and enjoy it with a toothpick as a snack or salad.
Today, I have managed to convert those childhood memories into a lipsmacking chaat option that combines health and satisfies cravings too. Not to mention, a new way of enjoying Peru or Guava this winter.
Let us learn how to make this uber delicious Amrood aur Kheere ki chaat or Guava and Cucumber Chaat.
The Guava and Cucumber Chaat is a no cook recipe, extremely easy to make for everyday consumption, budget friendly vegetarian recipe, good for all age groups, bachelors trying to eat healthy or busy office goers, everyone can indulge in this quick salad option at home.
To make this tasty and delicious Indian Guava Chaat Recipe, all it takes 10 minutes of prep work, zero cook time, few ingredients readily available in your pantry or refrigerator to make the Amrood aur Kheere ki Chaat.
For chaat lovers like us, this gauva salad is extremely reassuring, satisfies the cravings minus the excess calories. Keeping seasonal produce in mind, I have added amrood which is guava or Peru in Marathi with Kheera or Cucumbers along with home made chaat masala powder, roasted jeera powder, a tblsp of meethi (sweet) chutney, red chilli powder, mint and coriander leaves.
The Amrood and Kheere ki chaat is a great snack option while watching television or movie date nights at home. Extremely kid friendly (reduce the red chilli) and a good way of making them eat salads. Easy to carry in a dabba or lunch box, refrigerate it and and enjoy chilled chaat.
If you like adding fruits to your salad bowls, like us, then there are some exciting recipes of Raitas (with curd) and salad options on the blog. Check out the Cheery and Cucumber salad with feta cheese, the steamed broccoli with home made honey mustard sauce or the Grapes and Walnut Raita.
This winter, let’s indulge in healthy varieties and I assure you, that this chaat won’t fail to impress your family. The combination of sweet, salty and spice always pleases the palate and hence, this chaat is no exception.
Let us check out the easy recipe of the Amrud and Kheere ki chaat and make some!
Recipe for Amrood aur Kheere ki Chaat
Prep Time – 10 mins
No cook time
- 1 cup of Amrood or Peru / Guava cubed
- ½ cup of cucumbers
- ½ tsp of chaat masala powder
- ½ tsp of roasted jeera powder
- ¼ tsp of red chilli powder
- 1 tblsp of meethi chutney or sweet chutney
- Black Salt as per taste
- Few mint leaves
- Few coriander leaves
- Combine guava, cucumbers with the spices, tamarind chutney, salt and toss well.
- Now add the torn mint leaves and finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.
- If packing the salad for work, carry the tamarind chutney separately and add when you are about to eat.
- Add more fruits or vegetables to this, if you like.
- You can skip the tamarind chutney if you are a diabetic or simply want to avoid the sweet element. The salad will still taste good.
If you try this at home, please give me a shout out / Tag Me on any of my social media handles.
- Twitter – https://twitter.com/masalachilli
- Facebook Page – https://www.facebook.com/MasalachillibyVidyaNarayan/
- Pinterest – https://in.pinterest.com/masalachilli
- Instagram https://www.instagram.com/masalachilli_vidyanarayan/