Steamed Broccolis with Home Made Honey Mustard Sauce
When you have guests visiting home who eat healthy, in fact much healthier than you, it automatically challenges you to create some recipes, and this recipe that I share here, is one such example.
Since my guests were really careful about their diet, for appetizers, I didn’t want to make the regular dips that largely require a lot of heavy ingredients, cream etc so opted for a light honey based sauce. I love Dijon Mustard and its robust aroma and sharp taste, which is the very reason, why some mayonnaise is added to the recipe to cut the sharp taste of the mustard yet give a creamy texture to the sauce. I served a paneer based starter along with the Steamed Broccolis, that was again low oil. The Paneer Oats and Corn Tikkis are a huge hit amongst our regular guests and friends, firstly because it has oats and secondly its not deep fried. So much so, the kids also love it.
Broccoli is generally not loved by kids but I was glad to see my guest’s kids, chomp a few pieces by generously dabbing the sauce over it. I guess the effort really paid off.
Making this doesn’t take much time especially if the sauce is made and kept in a refrigerator the previous night, as in my case, it takes hardly 10 odd minutes to put everything together. The warm broccolis with a cool sauce is an excellent combination… much like the fondue .. Ahem!! Glad I didn’t describe it this way to my guests. Check out the extremely easy recipe and make some for yourself soon! Do let me know how it turned out.
Recipe for Steamed Broccolis with Home Made Honey Mustard Sauce
Prep Time – 10 mins
Cook Time – 5 mins
Serves – 2 nos.
Ingredients for the Steamed Broccoli
- Brocolli – 10 to 12 nos. florets
- Salt – a pinch
- Water as required for steaming the Brocolli
Ingredients required for making the Honey Mustard Sauce
- Dijon Mustard – 1 tblsp
- Mayonnaise – 2 tblsp
- Honey – 1.5 tblsp
- Salt – a pinch
- White Vinegar – 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Sweet Paprika – a pinch (optional)
Step 1 – Wash the Broccoli under running water and steam them for 5 minutes until tender. Sprinkle some salt and keep aside.
Step 2 – Making the Honey Mustard Sauce –
- Take a clean and dry glass bowl and add the required quantities of Dijon mustard, mayonnaise and honey and mix the ingredients well.
- Then, add salt (please use wisely), vinegar (optional) and the paprika powder (optional) and mix it well once again.
- The sauce is ready for use. In case you are not using it immediately, store the contents of this sauce, in a clean and dry glass jar or small bottle in a refrigerator.
Recipe Notes & Tips –
- This sauce stays good in the refrigerator for a week.
- If you are using this sauce for salad dressings, would suggest to exclude the vinegar and add lime juice, olive oil with some black pepper powder as it would go well with the raw vegetables and greens unlike the strong flavour of the vinegar.
- If you don’t consume vinegar, use the same quantity of freshly squeezed lemon juice. The shelf life in that case would be slightly less as compared to the vinegar.
- You can use a low fat or eggless mayonnaise for making this sauce, as I have done.
- Sweet Paprika (optional) adds a lovely colour to the sauce.
- Adding of freshly ground black pepper is also optional.
- Always check the quantity of salt added while making sauces as the core ingredients i.e. in this case, Dijon Mustard, has a fair amount of salt already.
If you like my work, please show me some love by following me on:-
- Twitter – https://twitter.com/masalachilli
- Facebook Page – https://www.facebook.com/MasalachillibyVidyaNarayan/
- Pinterest – https://in.pinterest.com/masalachilli
- Instagram https://www.instagram.com/masalachilli_vidyanarayan/
- Google+ Masala Chilli