If you are looking for a sweet makhana recipe, do try this uber addictive Gur Makhana. An easy Makhana snack recipe made with fox nuts or lotus seed and palm jaggery or karuppati vellam. Healthy dessert recipe to satiate those sweet cravings.
Did I tell you that Gur Makhana tastes similar to Caramel Popcorn? Made with roasted phool makhana, ghee and palm jaggery (karupatti vellam in tamil), this is a must have jar snack at home to satisfy those sudden post lunch or dinner sweet cravings.
Karupatti Vellam offers excellent health benefits and this is a stock I picked up from Tirunelveli during my trip in November 2018, which is when I created the recipe at home that till date, we thoroughly enjoy.
By the way, this jaggery is a great replacement for chocolate. Try it to believe me! When you crave some chocolate, eat a piece of this jaggery and just enjoy the almost similar taste.
Makhana or Phool Makhana has gained a lot of importance in the recent times but the North Indians have been consuming them since forever. Adding it to the winter special Panjiri, Subzis, Kheer or simply roasting it with some ghee (which is my personal favourite snack).
Makhana or Phool Makhana is a gluten free and vegan ingredient. Makhana, when roasted with ghee and sprinkled with kala namak or rock salt, makes an ideal 4 pm snack that instantly satisfies those snack cravings and is quite filling too. This is also consumed during fasting.
Avoid Ghee and roast them with oil for a vegan recipe.
The recipe takes less than 30 minutes and I promise you that it doesn’t involve a lot of jaggery or ghee. All the ingredients are added according to our tastes and preferences, which you are free to alter.
Make sure you try this snack the next time you are watching a movie marathon at home or just chilling on a weekend. This healthy(ish) version of Caramel Popcorn will keep you good company.
This is an extremely healthy winter snack recipe that is kid-friendly too. Winters make us consume more food than usual and hence stocking up such healthy snacks, especially sweet snacks is ideal. If you feel a bit peckish, you can consume a bowl of this.
Over to the recipe below with pictoral explanations.
Step by Step Gur Makhana Recipe
- Grate the Palm Jaggery and keep aside.
2. Heat a kadhai, add ghee and the makhana.
3. Roast the Makhana over low heat until it turns crispy.
4. Now sprinkle the jaggery over the makhana and mix well.
5. The Jaggery will melt and coat the foxnuts.
6. Saute for just few more seconds (over low heat only to avoid burning)
7. Switch off the flame and either enjoy it hot with tea or store it in an air tight container for later use.
Other Healthy 4 pm Snack Recipes on the blog –
Gur Makhana | Palm Jaggery Coated Fox Nuts
1 cup is 250 ml, 1 tbsp is 15 ml
- 2 cups Makhana (Fox Nuts)
- 3 tbsp Palm Jaggery (Karupatti Vellam) grated
- 2 tsp Ghee or Clarified Butter
- Grate the Palm Jaggery, measure and keep aside. Note – I have used the cheese grater for fine grating.
- Heat a kadhai, add ghee and the makhana.
- Roast the Makhana over low heat until it turns crispy. Note – This is best done on low heat to avoid burning.
- Now sprinkle the jaggery over the makhana and mix well.
- The Jaggery will melt and coat the foxnuts.
- Saute for just few more seconds over low heat, switch off flame and allow it to cool before serving.
- If using later, store it in an air tight container (after it cools down).
- You can add more jaggery if required. I have added only as per our preferences at home. We don’t like a thick layer of jaggery on the makhana and prefer it mildly sweet.
- Grate the jaggery and add. In this recipe, we are not melting jaggery with water and nor is there any thickening or one string consistency involved.
- Can be stored and used for over a week. Lightweight snack option to carry while travelling.
Tried this recipe? Share it with us! Take a picture and share it via email on [email protected] or you could TAG US on any of our social media handles – INSTAGRAM, TWITTER, FACEBOOK PAGE AND PINTEREST.
If you are satisfied with the recipe, please take a moment to LEAVE A COMMENT and a STAR rating on the blog. It would encourage others to try the recipe.
Please subscribe to our website to receive all the delicious recipes in your mail box.
We will be back again with yet another exciting recipe .. Until then, stay healthy and happy!