I am beginning the month of February with two of my favourite winter produce – Ginger and Cauliflower. With most parts of the world facing severe cold storm / freezing temperature, all you crave during such times is piping hot, homely comfort food. Ginger during winters aids in digestion of heavy foods, helps build immunity and fights cold and sinus infections too.
So, the recipe I share with you today is one of the popular vegetarian sabzi, especially during winters, called Aloo Gobi Adraki, which is basically Potatoes and Cauliflower cooked with loads of ginger, onions and tomatoes, spices and to be relished with hot Methi Missi Roti, a side of Radish slices or Mooli. Sounds like a perfect winter meal, isn’t it?
This Potato Cauliflower Sabzi or Dry Curry is an easy to put together lunch menu and can even serve a large crowd as it is extremely filling. The Aloo Gobi Adraki Sabzi is also ideal for every day lunch, packing in kids tiffin box (rolled in rotis) and a great menu option for parties at home too. The recipe is Gluten Free, Vegan and Vegetarian.
This Sabzi tastes great with a meal of Dal Rice or Rotis (Indian Flatbreads). Very filling even in small portions (thanks to potatoes).
Few tips to Cook the Aloo Gobi Adraki
- Cut the cauliflower into florets and soak them in boiling hot water (with a lid on) for atleast 10 minutes. Discard the water, give it a good rinse and then proceed for cooking the sabzi or veg. We do this to get rid of the small worms etc which are hidden inside the cauliflower florets.
- For this recipe, the amount of ginger used should be slightly more than what you add normally to any other veg or gravy. Use tender juicy ginger and preferably grate them instead of adding a puree or paste.
Let us now look at the recipe in detail (step by step pictures included) and make a piping bowl of this sabzi.
If you are looking for few more Sabzi – lunch recipes, do check out the following on the blog –
- Bhutte aur Palak Ki Sabzi (Spinach and Corn Veg)
- French Beans Foogath / Goan Style French Beans Sabzi
- Chana Madra / Chickpeas in Yoghurt gravy
- Karamani Keerai Poriyal
Recipe for Aloo Gobi Adraki
Prep Time 20 mins
Cook Time 20 to 30 mins
Serves 3 nos.
1 cup is 250 ml measurement
- 2 cup of Cauliflower Florets
- 1 cup of cubed potatoes
- 2 medium size onions sliced
- 2 small tomatoes sliced
- 3 tblsp grated ginger or Adrak
- 1/4 cup water for cooking
- 2 tblsp oil
- 1 tsp Jeera or Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala powder
- salt to taste
- to Garnish – Coriander leaves, ginger julienne, green chillies chopped
(1) Soak the cubed potatoes in water and prep the cauliflower as mentioned above (Few Tips to cook Aloo Gobi Adraki) and keep aside.
(2) Heat a pan or kadhai, add oil and Jeera or Cumin seeds.
(3) Now add the grated ginger and saute for a few seconds.
(4) Then add the sliced onions, saute until the onions are translucent.
(5) Add the sliced tomatoes and mix well. Allow it to cook on low heat until the raw smell disappears.
(6) Now, add salt, haldi powder and red chilli powder. Mix well.
(7) Add the cauliflower florets and cubed potatoes, mix well and add some water.
(8) Cover and cook this until the potatoes are soft and tender.
(9) After about cooking for 15 minutes on low heat, add garam masala powder, mix well, cover and cook for another 5 minutes.
(10) Switch off and serve piping hot with flatbreads or rotis and/or Dal Rice.
- Usually this recipe calls for more oil but I opt for a little water to cook the vegetables and make it slightly viable for everyday lunch ideas.
- Quantities of red chilli powder and garam masala powder can be altered as per your taste and preferences.
- Ideally as the name suggests, the recipe calls for a lot of ginger flavour. However, if you prefer it slightly less, adjust the quantity accordingly.
If you try this at home, please give me a shout out / Tag Me on any of my social media handles.
- Twitter – https://twitter.com/masalachilli
- Facebook Page – https://www.facebook.com/MasalachillibyVidyaNarayan/
- Pinterest – https://in.pinterest.com/masalachilli
- Instagram https://www.instagram.com/masalachilli_vidyanarayan/