Family Favourite Breakfast Recipe of Aloo Peas Paratha or Aloo Matar Paratha, an Indian Stuffed flatbread with Potato and fresh green peas.
Winters are the best time to indulge in stuffed parathas and it is very evident from my recent posts of Mooli Paratha and Palak Hara Lahsun Parathas that our breakfasts are a sheer delight these days and we are making the most of the whatever that’s left of the Mumbai Winters.
With seasonal produce in mind, I decided to whip up Aloo Matar Parathas or Potato Peas Stuffed Flatbreads. I mean, why not? Matar or Fresh peas are in season and I have been adding it to everything from sabzis to soups and pulao etc and simply cannot ever get enough of the sweet green pearls.
Planning Aloo Matar Parathas for breakfast is not at all difficult if you prep the previous day, like I do. I usually knead the dough and store in the fridge. Boil the potatoes and lightly steam the green peas to retain that lovely green colour.
I prepare the Aloo Matar paratha stuffing mixture, store it in an airtight box in the refrigerator and in the morning just roll out the parathas easily after returning back from my morning walk.
I usually prep most of my meals a day in advance as my husband’s schedules are very erratic and I prefer him carrying meals from home strictly. With prep work done or mis en place (the culinary term) done the previous night, I am at peace the next morning as breakfast and lunch happens simultaneously and in 45 mins flat.
If you are interested in healthy breakfast recipes that has less prep work, do check out Green Mung Onion Uttapam or Ajwain Dal Parathas. You can also make an easy Moong Dal Cheela pinwheels for kids tiffin box.
Let us check out the detailed recipe on how to make Aloo Peas Paratha or Aloo Matar Paratha with step by step pictures.
Recipe for Aloo Matar Paratha / Potato Peas Stuffed Flatbreads
Prep Time 30 mins
Cook Time 20 mins
Provides 5 medium size parathas
Ingredients for the Dough
- 1 1/2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- Water as required to knead the dough
- 1 tsp of oil
- salt to taste
Ingredients for the Potato and Peas Stuffing
- 2 medium sized potatoes (boiled, skin peeled and roughly chopped))
- 1 cup Steamed Green Peas
- 1 tsp of red chilli powder
- 1 tsp of garam masala powder
- Finely chopped coriander leaves as required
- salt to taste
- Make a medium soft dough with ingredients mentioned under “Ingredients for Dough”. Allow it to rest for 20 minutes before you roll out the parathas.
2. For the filling – boil the potatoes, peel the skin and roughly chop them into a bowl. Add steamed peas, salt to taste, red chilli powder and finely chopped coriander leaves.
3. Mash all the above ingredients for filling and keep aside.
4. Make equal balls of the wheat flour dough, dust flour and roll out the parathas with the stuffing.
5. Heat a griddle or non stick tawa / pan and cook them on both sides by pouring ghee and/or oil on the sides.
6. Serve hot with accompaniments of your choice.
- I made 5 medium parathas with this measurement. 1 cup is 250 ml.
- As you can see from the pictures, I have not completely mashed the green peas as we like to keep it that way. Ensure the dough is medium soft so that it can hold the moisture of the peas and not tear the parathas while rolling them out.
- Steam the peas instead of boiling them especially in winter when they are fresh. It takes about 10 minutes for it to soften up and doesn’t lose it’s colour too.
- I cook Parathas only with ghee as they are tasty and bring out flavours really well.
If you try this at home, please give me a shout out / Tag Me on any of my social media handles.
- Twitter – https://twitter.com/masalachilli
- Facebook Page – https://www.facebook.com/MasalachillibyVidyaNarayan/
- Pinterest – https://in.pinterest.com/masalachilli
- Instagram https://www.instagram.com/masalachilli_vidyanarayan/