Gajar Matar aur Methi Ki Sabzi / Carrot, Peas and Methi Veg
As I mentioned in my earlier blog post on the Mixed Dals with Green Garlic, the winter varieties will soon disappear slowly from the market scene and I want to make the best use of the produce while it lasts. So, the upcoming blog posts will be all about showcasing the winter produce, of course in a healthy way possible.
I wanted to do a post on Methi Malai Mutter but then I thought of doing this recipe finally as I wanted the delhi carrots or red carrots on the blog in a savory version. The Gajar Ka Halwa post showcased the red carrots in its sheer beauty but one cannot over indulge on the halwa, but with this sabzi, yes you can! Made with less oil, almost basic masalas at home and loads of greens added to form a perfect veggie option as part of your everyday menu ideas. Since Delhi carrots are sweet, it would cut down the slight bitterness from methi and would be loved by kids too.
With the addition of Methi, this sabzi becomes a diabetic friendly dish too. For achieving maximum health benefits from Methi, pair this sabzi with Methi Theplas or alternatively can be paired with another winter favourite, the Green Garlic. You can try the Flaxseeds and green garlic theplas for ultimate health boost from the flax seeds. If you need a pickle to go along with it, try the Carrot, Mango Ginger and the Green chilli pickle, it would be fingerlicking good combination. Or if you are simply not in a mood for elaborate pairings, just a simple phulka with ghee will be perfectly fine too.
Everyday cooking needs to be fuss free, made with simple ingredients and more importantly, ensure you stay less time in the kitchen, yet are able to provide the best and nutritious meals to your family that tick all boxes of health and nutrition.
Recipe for Gajar Mutter Aur Methi Ki Sabzi / Carrot, Peas and Methi Veg
Prep time – 15 to 20 minutes
Cook Time – 15 minutes
Serves 2 persons
- Delhi Carrots or Red Carrots – 1 no. Large chopped
- Methi Leaves – 1 cup
- Green Peas – 1 cup
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- Red chilli powder – ½ tsp
- Water to cook – ¼ cup
- Oil – 1 tblsp
- Salt as per taste
- Wash and peel the skin of the carrots and chop them into small pieces.
- Heat a kadhai, add oil and once it heats, add the mustard seeds, allow it to crackle, before adding the turmeric powder.
- Add the methi leaves and saute it for a while. Just 3-4 minutes.
- Once the methi leaves wilt, add the carrots and the green peas. Stir the mixture well
- Add salt, red chilli powder and splash some water for cooking the peas and the carrots.
- Close the pan with a lid, lower the flame and let it for atleast 5-10 minutes or until the peas and the carrots soften.
- Check for the salt, and add if required. Once cooked, switch off the flame and serve it hot with accompaniments of your choice or as provided above.
Recipe Notes –
- Methi leaves are allowed to saute first in the oil as it won’t taste bitter as against adding after the other veggies. Do try this method.
- You can replace Methi with Spinach / Palak too and follow the same method. Just ensure you finely chop the spinach greens and saute for atleast 5 minutes before adding the other veggies.
If you like & appreciate my work, please subscribe to the blog and receive the recipes via email. You may also follow me on social media and encourage my work, links given below. Cheers!
Twitter – https://twitter.com/masalachilli
Facebook Page – https://www.facebook.com/MasalachillibyVidyaNarayan/
Pinterest – https://in.pinterest.com/masalachilli
Google+ Masala Chilli