A cool & refreshing Raita that is often served as an accompaniment to rice dishes in South India
Recipe for Tomato Pachadi / Tomato Raita (Salad) south style
(serves – 2 persons)
- Tomatoes – 4 big finely chopped
- Chana Dal – 1 tblsp
- Dry Red chillies – 2-3 nos.
- Fresh grated coconut – 1 tblsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Curd – 1 cup (fresh & thick)
- Oil – 2 tsps
- Salt as per taste
- Coriander finely chopped for garnishing.
- In a kadhai / wok, add oil, mustard seeds, let it crackle then add chana dal, dry red chillies & the finely chopped tomatos.
- Give it a good mix & reduce the flame, let it cook for about 5-7 mins until the tomatoes are a bit cooked. Please ensure the tomatoes are chunky. The idea is to remove the raw taste of tomatoes & not turn it into a gravy.
- Once the mixture is cooked, remove it in a bowl & keep aside for cooling.
- Once the tomato mixture is cooled, add grated coconut, curd, coriander leaves, salt & keep it in a refrigerator for atleast 30 mins to chill.
Serve with rice, a dal or sabzi or even with parathas & theplas.