Nellikai Rice, Amla Rice, South Indian Gooseberry Rice Recipe
Nellikai Rice or Amla Rice is an easy No Onion No Garlic Rice recipe, great for lunch box with a side of vegetables. Vegan Rice Recipe with step by step pics.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 2 people
- 4 nos Amla or Indian Gooseberry
- 1 tbsp Roasted Groundnuts
- 2 cups Cooked Rice 1 cup is 200 ml measurement - Any short grain rice
- 2 tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds or Rai
- 1/2 tsp Chana Dal
- Chopped Green Chillies as required
- 1-2 nos Whole Red chillies
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- A pinch of Asafoetida or hing
- Few Curry Leaves as required
- Salt to taste
Wash and Grate 4 nos. Nellikai or Amla and keep aside.
In a kadhai or a pan, add 2 tbsp Sesame oil, 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds and 1/2 tsp Chana Dal or Bengal Gram Dal.
Once Mustard crackles, add finely chopped green chillies, red chillies, curry leaves and a dash of hing or asafoetida.
Add turmeric powder and a tbsp of roasted groundnuts or peanuts. Saute well.
Add the grated amla and saute the mixture until the amla has absorbed the oil and is slightly dry.
Now, add the cooked rice with salt to taste. Mix well.
Switch off the flame and allow it to cool slightly before serving.
- The recipe is Vegan but not gluten free as it contains Asafoetida or Hing. Skip the ingredient to make it gluten free.
- Sesame oil adds flavour to the rice dish. You can use any neutral oil instead of sesame oil.
- Use green chillies and red chillies according to your spice tolerance.
- I have added groundnuts, you can also add some cashews too. In case of cashews, saute them along with the tempering.
- I tend to add more turmeric powder for my recipes. You can alter the quantity as per your requirements and preferences.
- If you do not have access to fresh Amla or Indian Gooseberry, you can use frozen one too.