Kollu Podi / Spiced Horsegram Powder
Kollu Podi is a delicious South Indian Podi Recipe made with Horsegram. Best enjoyed with hot rice and sesame oil or ghee. Perfect comfort food.
- 1 cup Kollu or Horsegram 1 cup is 200 ml
- 1/3 cup Urad Dal
- 1/3 cup Chana Dal
- 8 nos Whole Red Chillies I have used spicy Pondi Chillies
- 1/4 tsp Hing or Asafoetida skip for gluten free version but highly recommended for authentic taste and digestion
- Oil - Few drops to Roast the ingredients as required I have used sesame oil
- Salt to taste
Heat a pan, add the Horsegram, few drops of oil and roast until you hear a popping sound. Note - It would turn darker in colour as it roasts, ensure the flame is low and you follow this process slowly to avoid burning. Once roasted, keep the contents aside for cooling.
In the same pan, roast the urad dal and the chana dal separately with few drops of oil.
Now roast the chillies for a couple of seconds and keep aside.
Wait until 5 mins for the above ingredients to cool and then grind them in a mixer grinder jar to a smooth powder along with hing and salt to taste.
Store this Kollu Podi in a clean and dry glass jar with a lid.
- Shelf life of this Podi in a refrigerator is atleast a couple of months. However, we tend to make a small batch.
- Add salt and hing while grinding (only after the ingredients have cooled slightly).
- This podi is meant to be mixed for rice but you can also consume it with breakfast like Idli, Dosa and/or Uttapam.