A no egg, moist, butter free, whole wheat flour cake with the mild aroma of Vanilla, jewelled with chocolate chips, the Eggless Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Muffins Recipe makes it a perfect idea for gifting among family and friends this festive season.
I am very much a savoury bakes kinda gal but occasionally give in to Narayan’s demands of baking a cake at home. He adores only home made cakes and tea time cakes, in particular. His choices include the classics such as fruit cakes, chocolate chip or Banana Walnut Cake. Such cakes can be enjoyed with a cup of evening tea and good books for company.
With the festive mood and spirit everywhere around me, I knew I had to bake and share a cake recipe. So, presenting, Eggless Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Muffins Recipe.
Kids adore chocolate chips in their cakes and muffins. So baking the Eggless Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Muffins could be an ideal treat for them on weekends or part of their school lunch box also. After all, home made bakes are much healthier, especially whole wheat based.
Eggless Whole Wheat flour cakes have earned the reputation of being dense but frankly majority of my bakes at home are whole wheat and with few tips and tricks, I have found them incredibly moist and soft, just like bakery cakes.
Few tips to bake a moist Eggless Chocolate chip muffins recipe with whole wheat flour
- Always Sift your whole wheat flour twice.
- Your ingredients should be at room temperature.
- Allow the sugar to dissolve completely with the wet ingredients like buttermilk, oil etc and only then add it to the dry ingredients.
- If you are adding fruits or nuts, toss them gently with a tsp of wheat flour, dust the excess off and then add it to the batter. It will stop them from sinking at the bottom of the cake.
- While baking, do not overstuff the baking moulds or cake tin. Always allow ample space for the cake or muffin, in this case, to rise.
- Using curd or buttermilk for whole wheat flour cakes gives great results and a moist crumb.
- Different ovens behave differently. Always insert a toothpick in the centre of the cake and if the tooth pick comes out clean, the muffins are done. If not, bake for addtional few minutes until done, repeating the tooth pick test again.
- Do not open the oven door frequently when cakes are being baked.
The Eggless Whole Wheat Flour Vanilla Chocolate Chip Muffins are ideal for a Christmas brunch or to carry for a potluck party with friends. The muffins can be dusted with icing sugar on top and gifted individually in boxes too.
The Chocolate chip muffins make excellent gifting idea for your kids birthday party or as an edible take away gift too. Be it any occasion, these would be a sure hit!
Taking these to the #175FoodieMondayBlogHop where the theme this week is “Christmas Special” since we all decided to soak in some of the Christmas Spirit and share our best recipes for the occasion.
Hope you enjoy baking these Eggless Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Muffins Recipe.
Recipe for Eggless Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Muffins
Prep Time 15 mins
Cook Time 40 mins
Yields 9 medium size muffins and 4 large muffins as shown in the picture below.
1 cup is 200 ml measurement
- 3 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 cup Chocolate Chips + few to sprinkle on top (I have used 50% of both dark and milk chocolate chips)
- 2 cups of thick curd
- 1 cup of Sugar (I have used Raw sugar)
- 1 tsp of Baking soda
- 1 1/4 tsp Baking powder
- 1 cup Oil (use any neutral oil that has no smell)
- 2 tsps Vanilla Essence
- A pinch of salt
- Once all the ingredients are lined up on your kitchen counter, pre heat the oven for 10 mins at 180 degrees.
- Grease your muffin moulds or use cupcake liners and keep aside.
- In a big bowl, Sift the whole wheat flour twice and keep aside.
- In another bowl, combine the wet ingredients curd, oil, sugar, vanilla essence, oil and a pinch of salt. Whisk well until the sugar melts completely.
- Now, add the baking soda and the baking powder to the wet ingredients and mix again lightly.
- To this wet mixture, slowly incorporate the whole wheat flour. Fold the mixture lightly until there are no lumps.
- Add the chocolate chips and mix lightly again.
- With the help of an icecream scoop, slowly pour the cake mixture into the respective greased moulds and/or the muffin liners.
- Bake the muffins at 180 degrees for 40 minutes.
- Check whether the centre is cooked by using a skewer. It it comes out clean, the cake is ready else, keep it inside the oven for further cooking for 10 minutes or so.
Note – I usually post baking recipes with step by step pics but I lost the same while uploading to this post. Promise, shall update soon! Only the final product pics that I saved from watsapp was what I could post to give you the idea of the bakes, the muffin mould and liners used etc.
Recipe adapted from King Arthur Flour Website – Golden Chocolate Chip Muffins which I have turned Eggless and butter free by opting for substitutes as shown in the ingredients and recipe above.
- I have a 40 litre oven and hence I could bake all the muffins together in a single batch. In case you have a smaller oven, just halve the recipe and proceed.
- If you are not fond of whole wheat bakes, try the same recipe using APF for the exact same results.
- For 3 cups of flour, 1 cup of sugar may sound very less but we prefer very less sweet cakes at home to go with tea coffee. You can add another 1/4 cup if you like. Also, since I was using chocolate chips, I restricted the sugar.
- Using this recipe as base, you can opt for any fruits of your choice like blueberries, raspberries etc too and they turn out amazing.
- I have used raw cane sugar, you can opt for icing sugar too.
- Fill the muffin moulds or cup cake liners up to 3/4th only to allow even rising.
If you try baking this at home, please give me a shout out / Tag Me on any of my social media handles.
- Twitter – https://twitter.com/masalachilli
- Facebook Page – https://www.facebook.com/MasalachillibyVidyaNarayan/
- Pinterest – https://in.pinterest.com/masalachilli
- Instagram https://www.instagram.com/masalachilli_vidyanarayan/