Do Read the Story behind the making of Sakharamba on the Travel Section of the Blog.
Recipe for Sakharamba (Sweet Raw Mango Relish with a hint of cardamom)
- Raw Mangoes – 3 nos. medium sized (washed, dried, peeled & grated)
- Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
- Sugar – 1 ½ cup (it depends on how much sweet you want)
- Take the grated mangoes & add the sugar. Mix well & keep this mixture aside for 15 – 20 mins until the sugar dissolves completely & you see enough liquid in the bowl.
- Now transfer the contents into a heavy kadhai & keep cooking on a very low flame else the sugar may burn.
- Keep cooking until the mixture turns into a jam like consistency & the sugar clings & coats the mangoes.
- At this stage, if you taste & feel that the sugar isn’t enough, switch off the gas, add the sugar & keep it aside until it dissolves & then repeat process of cooking.
- Once done, switch off the gas, add cardamom powder. Cool it completely before you transfer it in an airtight glass jar.
- I have used normal sugar. In case you use castor sugar, then the step 1 process is expedited (5 mins) or so if you mix well.
- Stays good in fridge for over a month or so.
- Enjoy with theplas, parathas, chillas etc.