Do Read the Story behind the making of Methamba on the Travel Section of the blog.
Recipe for Methamba –
- Raw Mangoes – 3 nos (medium sized, washed, dried & peeled cut into small cubes)
- Methi seeds – 1 big spoon
- Mustard seeds – 1 big spoon
- Hing – 2 -3 pinch
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1 big spoon
- Oil – 2 big spoons (any oil other than olive oil)
- Red Chillies – 5 – 6 nos. broken into half
- Salt as per taste
- Jaggery – 1 big spoon
- Heat a non-stick kadhai, add oil (I have used sesame oil), add hing, mustard seeds.
- Once they crackle, add methi seeds & whole red chillies. Saute it for sometime & then add the mango cubes.
- Stir well, Cook it with lid on on a low flame for 3 – 4 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, chilli powder & once again cook it with lid on for 3 – 4 minutes.
- You will observe that the mangoes turn mushy & the oil has started floating on the edges of the kadhai.
- Add the jaggery & stir well & let it cook for another minute or so without the lid.
- You will get a glossy texture with oil leaving the sides of the kadhai & the mangoes cooked well. Switch off the gas.
- Allow it to cool completely before you transfer it into a glass container.
This relish stays good when stored it in a refrigerator for more than a month or so but I assure you that it wont last that long!!
Do try it!!